Advertising

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How-to Guide: Fur

If you have been on PinterestFacebook or even just outside of your house lately, you are probably well aware that the fur vest has been a huge trend throughout this fall/winter season. And if you are anything like myself, you have been coveting one as well.

The problem is, seeing these trends look fabulous on someone else is one thing, but what I (and I think all of you ladies as well) want to know is...ok, that is all fine and dandy but how would this work on ME?

I am a pear shape. There, I said it. I have a love/hate relationship with this fact, but I have (somewhat) come to terms with it. This means that my lower half is significantly larger than my upper body (think of a pear) and I carry most of my weight below my waist. I have learned over the years that the looks that work best for me are ones that highlight my tiny waist.

Now, that is why this trend scared me. A lot. Love the look, but worried that I would look like a round hairball that came out of a Garfield sized cat's throat. (Visualize this please, it ain't pretty!) This trend did all the wrong things for me, it added bulk to the last place that I needed it.

Did this stop me from lusting over a fur vest? Of course not. Did I buy one? Of course not. What I DID do was find an alternative that actually worked for my body shape.

Ladies, meet the fur scarf. This beauty gives the look of the fur vest without adding the volume in all the wrong places. I love this take on this trend because not only is it a wearable version for pear shapes, but for someone like myself who gets the chills when the house is below 24 degrees Celsius, the fur at the neck help keep you toasty no matter where you are. I got this fur scarf at RW&CO on a recent shopping trip with my mom (more to come on what else I picked up there later on so stay tuned!)

A few pics of how I did this trend. Since the fur scarf was such a statement piece I paired it with a simple cotton long sleeved tee, some leggings with leather like detail, kick ass over the knee black boots and simple gold/pearl combination jewelery.



If you are lucky enough to not be pear shaped and want to give the vest style a try, here is one I quite enjoy from Club Monaco.

***I would also like to add that when I talk fur, I clearly am talking faux! Real fur is luscious and luxurious, but I don't support harming animals in any way, shape or form. No critters will ever be harmed in the making of my closet or blog :)

What are some trends that you have altered to fit your body shape? 
What is your take on the fur trend?




9 comments:

  1. Darcy, this is a FANTASTIC way to make a trend work for your body. Bravo for not simply leaping before looking. I love how your top knot really frames the scarf. btw, I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat! Thank you so much for your awesome feedback :) You really have to make trends work for your body, otherwise there is no point participating in them! I thought a top bun would be a great way to really show off the new scarf and let it shine. I appreciate your following so much and will definitely check out your blog as well!

    Stay fabulous!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! this fur scarf is from RW? is it still there do you think and what was the price point i have seen some other faux fur scarves that are just our of my budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly why I loved this one, affordable but didn't look tacky! It was only 38$ Nini! Check it out, we can be fur twins :)

      Delete
  4. Great way to re-interpret a trend and make it work for you fur vests are tricky, they add A LOT of bulk. I'm still looking for one that doesn't make me look like a yeti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You my darling have the BEST excuse for the bulk! haha You can pull it off fabulously I am sure. Let me know what you end up finding :)

      Delete
  5. Love the fur scarf paired with a simple outfit! So classic. I am thrilled that fur is back in - I can't get enough of it!!

    Great blog! I just stumbled upon it recently but I will back to check for updates frequently!

    xo Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fur is definitely back and I don't think its going anywhere! Hopefully it is here to stay, what fur pieces do you like to use?

      Thanks so much for the kind words, I hope you do come back :)

      Happy holidays!

      Darcy

      Delete
    2. I've been all over the fur vests recently - but in the cooler weather there a fur stole is such a great piece!

      xo Lauren

      Delete