For me, that place is, always has been, and probably always will be, Shopper's Drug Mart. An odd choice, you may think, but hear me out before judging. It is THE perfect balance of frivolous and function, I can go there to buy my necessities, and not so necessities as well, which totally justifies each and every purchase (at least that is what I tell myself). But in all seriousness, it is the basically the best place ever. They sell all of my most necessary and favourite things: food, hair colour, foot therapy accessories, makeup and travel sized items (how can you resist them, they are just so small and cute!)
Needless to say, I never walk out of there empty handed, or without some racked up Optimum points. Did I mention it is the perfect place for that self indulgent shopping trip? I mean really, if you are having a fat day, do you really want to go try something tight on that you can't zip up or that shows every crook and cranny? Heck no. Shoppers has the solution...makeup, a new hair colour or nail polish... all are quick fixes that don't have a size.
I don't do many beauty posts because well, I don't really consider myself an expert in the field. Clothes, I know, clothes and I are tight, but make up and I are not so close. We aren't frenemies or anything like that, more like acquaintances. We recognize each other, are at peace with one another, but always keep that friendly distance. I figure if I'm so clueless, I must not be alone right? K, well, here's my attempt at a beauty post..and of course it starts at our beloved Shopper's Drug Mart.
I went in today to pick up a new concealer, and walked out with a bag full of goodies, of course. So lets play "What's in the bag?"
1. The concealer, obviously. At the very least I got what I went for. I was recommended this concealer and am giving it a shot for the first time. I don't use a full face foundation, I just find it too much, but definitely need something to hide bags and breakout zones. I do like Benefit's quirky names of their products, so hopefully their makeup will be just as fun. This one is called "Boi-ing". Has anyone tried it?
2. The tried and true mascara. For years I used the iconic Diorshow by Christian Dior mascara, loved it, but then woke up and realized "Hey, you are a starving student, in what world do you think you can afford $30 dollar mascara?!" Diorshow was great, and if you have the funds, by all means go for it. My sole issue with it was that it was kind of difficult to take off. I knew there had to be a decent, cheaper option out their and once I found it, I never turned back (but do treat myself to Diorshow on occasion). The winner? Covergirl Lashblast, the orange tube. (Maybe this is why I fail at beauty posts...I refer to my makeup as "the blue one" or "the orange one"). They might of changed the name? I don't remember it, but now there is a "Volume" added on the end so it is "Lashblast Volume". Anyways, it is fantastic. And I actually always get complimented on my eyelashes for it. People always ask me what mascara I use, maybe even more often than when I used Diorshow! This baby was on sale, so I took the opportunity to grab it before I ran out of my current one.
3. The perfect shade of pink polish. I am not a nail girl. It might have something to do with the fact that I can't wear polish to work, but I have never been nuts about doing my nails. It might also have something to do with my lack of hand eye coordination and clumsy nature, but that's another story. Nails have never been my thing. The odd time I DO paint my nails, I almost always opt for a shade of soft pink. Mind you, within the pink palette I am all kinds of crazy. From blush pink to rose hues, it gets pretty wild. I figure since I use it so much, I could do to invest in a quality bottle. This shade spoke to me, quite literally, because it was called "Eternal Optimist". How could I NOT get it? Plus, it made for the perfect Instagram subject.
4. The perfect shade of pink lipstick. My go-to look for a night out is ruby red lipstick. I love the classic look it gives and it always takes my outfit to the next level. I have been trying, quite unsuccesfully, to find a pretty shade of pink for more casual affairs and I think this one may be it. It is by Covergirl and the shade is called "Heavenly Paradisiaque". To be honest, I have never heard the word paradisiaque in my life, but heavenly is always good, right?
5. The foot stuff. Ever since April of 2011, when I fractured my heel, I have never been so damn aware of my feet. I mean, they are essential pieces of our day to day life, we rely heavily on them, but they are just kinda always...there. I never really paid attention to them before, but boy, now are we ever up close and personal. I have no choice but to take a lot better care of my feet now. I have been left unable to wear high heels (basically the bane of my existence) and need to live life vicariously in flats. I have some flats that are just well, too flat, so I figure getting a pair of insoles will give them another chance to work their way into my wardrobe. I also picked up this thingamajic. I have never seen anything like it in my life (other than the toe separator thingys you walk out of a pedicure with) but it actually was exactly what I needed. You see, the toes on my bad foot have been left rather, clawed. It is not as bad, or ugly as it sounds, but my toes are definitely nowhere near as straight as the other foot. The bottoms do not even touch the ground. So I've been thinking of buying some tape and just taping them up for a few hours a night and see if that does the trick to straighten em out. Little did I know, there was actually a device for this! The "Flex-tastic". Apparently its the secret to healthier feet. I think its actually made for ladies who wear pointed toe high heels too often, or as the box calls it "dress-shoe fatigue", but it is supposed to "straighten and realign problem toes". I tried it out this evening, and to be honest I think it is actually working. I feel like I worked out my entire leg! Obviously my toes are not perfectly straight again already, but I think if i use it on a daily basis they will be soon.
Have you tried any of these products? Let me know!